Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Write! Right?

People think that writing is easy. I often use this illustration from the movie Get Shorty as an example of how incorrect that assumption is...

Mafioso Chili Palmer (John Travolta) and LA thug Bo Catlett (Delroy Lindo) are chatting about a potential script they both want a piece of. The machismo is thick in the room as both think they have something to bring to a potential award winning screenplay.

Chili: You know how to write one of these?

Bo: There's nothin' to know. You have an idea, you write down what you wanna say. Then you get somebody to add in the commas and shit where they belong if you aren't positive yourself. Maybe fix up the spelling where you have some tricky words...although I've seen scripts where I know words weren't spelled right and there was hardly any commas in it at all. So I don't think it's too important. Anyway, you come to the last page, write in "fade out" and that's the end...you're done.

Chili: That's all there is to it, huh?

Bo: That's all.

Chili sits forward, stabs out his cigarette, exhales into Bo's face...

Chili: Then what the fuck do I need you for?

I use this as an example only because that's how most people view writing.

"It's easy!", they say.

"You're not really working if you're typing words onto a page", they add.

Well it is work. And writers are always thinking about material. Most likely, they're studying your sorry asses for future material because not only what you say but how you say it could be fodder for future books, movies or even comedy skits!

I remember a time when a friend introduced me to an acquaintance of hers as he wanted to write movies. For a while, I tolerated his irritating penchant for capturing every word I uttered into his small notebook. After about a half an hour, I grabbed it and said, "Hey Rain Man, not every word is gold. Observe. Take a look around you and absorb small moments. They might prove to be more valuable than any phrases I might put forth."

Regardless, my point is that we're always watching...listening...observing...

...everything! ;)

However, even writers get stymied by life's little distractions (the usual banal workaday projects that are unrelated to our passions being one of them).

So my friend, co-worker and fellow scribe Sarah and I have decided to collaborate on an experiment. We're going to start a story that has no direct impetus. We don't have a title, a clear understanding of where we're going with it, and no ending in sight.

The story

Like you, the reader, we're wondering where this little endeavor might lead. Hope you enjoy the ride as much as we do! We'll both be posting it on our websites. Mine is at the top of my normal list to the right. Here's her blog which I recommend you check out as she strives to publish her first novel:

I Write

We're going to switch off and add to the story until it reaches some type of ending. Perhaps it's an exercise in futility. Maybe it will be a published novel. But in the end, it's designed to help us plug away at what we love to do best.

And that's to write...right? ;)

6 comments:

sarah said...

I just had a similar conversation with, in fact, the friend I was griping about in my last email. She is marking up copy of my manuscript with her "workshopping" suggestions and has apologized about being so critical and that some people have the con. crit. and just want to hear "you're amazing."

Well, I haven't seen the pages she's marking (she's actually snail mailing them to me, which will be fun) but I have already thanked her. Because in my eyes, someone who is passionate and serious about his/her craft, we want the criticism. We want the help so that we can be better than we already are. It's the people who just think, "hey, that's easy" (re: lots of people whom I have shared workshops with) who won't accept criticism because they just already know that since it's so easy, of course they're amazing.

Lana said...

that's a great idea! the opposite of all those 'how to write a novel' bits that scream outlines and definitions seems much more appealing to me.

Anonymous said...

a literary back and forth. I remember it well!

Emjoy!

~K~

Skitch said...

Sarah,

Right. I always appreciate the truth more than anything because in the long run, you need to be able to accept it from people who are buying your work. If all you hear are nice things, what's the point? You become delusional and never reach your full potential.

Skitch said...

Lana,

Yeah...those become tiresome. Plus, it helps to energize yourself when you need to by doing something different.

Skitch said...

K,

It's the timeless art! :)