Thursday, November 26, 2009

I...(part two)


...have never been a big fan of holidays and Thanksgiving may be my least favorite.

I do enjoy turkey, but since I've been back, we've had it at least once a month so that saps some of the special feeling out of partaking of a bird today.

Moreover, I've never been a fan of parades so getting up early and seeing that on TV does zilch for me.

Then there's the football games. I know there's grumbling around the NFL about Dallas and Detroit playing home games every Thanksgiving, thus giving them a "competitive advantage". Look, first of all, if we're going to stick with every other tradition on Thanksgiving, might as well keep this one up. Besides, since they've added a third game in the evening, there's at least one decent matchup to look forward to. Second of all, what "competitive advantage"? It's a home game just like any other so why all the sudden bitching about it? Either teams play at home or away. Other than playing one game in London during the season (which is ridiculous) and the Super Bowl, teams have home field advantage at least 8 times per season. Let it go.

Of course, there's the family time that we all look forward to...

I get enough family time each and every day so believe me, today is nothing special. In fact, like most travelers, I've amassed so many frequent flier miles from all the guilt trips I've taken so, if anything, I deserve time away somewhere. Furthermore, as the years roll on, I've become less a fan of going to other people's homes to celebrate. If it were friends, that's one thing. But most families have extended family over and with that comes kids, people I don't know and will most likely never see again, and no quiet time spent enjoying a day off.

Finally, there's the perfunctory well wishes everyone has to send today. Yes, I do appreciate it and I think it's always a nice gesture, but with that comes the obligation to send them back. I truly do hope everyone has a happy Thanksgiving, but why can't every day be happy? Why do we wish it only on holidays? That seems like one tradition I wouldn't mind seeing disappear. Since I wish no ill will against family and friends any other day, why do I need to go out of my way on particular days to wish them an extra special time?

However, I think the true problem with the modern world lies in the fact that instead of everyone picking up the phone and actually wishing people well, we forward it in the form of a text, e-mail or, even worse, Facebook & MySpace greetings. It seems so impersonal to me.

Then again, it's like every other day, so why should today be any different?

Anyway, I do hope that anyone reading this has a Happy Thanksgiving.

Just don't expect me to enjoy it. ;)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do agree with one thing... the "happy" part. Its not like we say "happy afternoon" or "August 27th-wink wink". Although, the crazy secretary (sorry, administrative assistant) says "Happy Friday" every single Friday.
~H

Anonymous said...

Ok, time to take a stance.

While agree we shouldn't be required to have one specific day to be reminded of that which we ARE thankful for, the alternative is worse, simply never being thanked (appreciated) or taking the time to do so.

It's like bytching about "getting older" on your birthday *snickers* it's better than the alternative!

Happy Turkey Day Sean!

~K~

Skitch said...

H,

Sounds like someone has a case of "the Mondays".

;)

Happy Saturday! Lol

Skitch said...

K,

Well, people should say "please" and "thank you" all the time.

You almost never hear that in the workplace and just slightly less in everyday life.

I never bitch about getting older, because I know I'm just getting wiser! ;)

Too bad the rest of the world doesn't see that...

:p