Saturday, December 26, 2009

I...(part seven)

...had originally planned to go into more detail on something I touched upon in my last post: that someone had recently mentioned that "this is the most exciting time to be alive".

I disagree of course and not out of some weird sense of nostalgia. I just think that society has developed some sort of myopic view on the world thanks to the past decade being filled with various levels of self aggrandizement. In fact, the first decade of the new millennium should now be labeled: The Decade of Self Entitlement.

Everyone feels that they deserve to be heard (99% don't), that they are the most important with opinions that matter (not so much) and that they can change the world (they could if they got their heads out of their asses and do something instead of Twittering about it).

People also feel that they can have riches and anything else they want in life by positive thinking. Not going to happen. Don't believe me? Ask financial experts and investors how "positive thinking" almost led to a worldwide meltdown. Check with homeowners on how they feel about their positive thoughts that the real estate boom would last forever.

You know, while re-watching a movie from 2000 today, I hit upon the exact diagnosis of nearly everyone from the past 10 years...

"Advanced delusionary schizophrenia with involuntary narcissistic rage"

How prescient the Farrelly Brothers were with Me, Myself & Irene when they unknowingly made Charlie Baileygates the poster boy for the next 10 years!


As for me? Well, I'm part of that fractured dysfunctional "community" for better or worse. But when I take a look at that split image up there, I know that I want to reclaim the left half of that with the smile and make it connect all the way across to the right.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It definitely has been the decade of self-entitlement, although everyone seems entitled but us!

~H

Anonymous said...

*two thumbs up*

~K

Skitch said...

H,

Lol. Isn't THAT the truth! ;)

Skitch said...

K,

Let's hope that's what reviewers give me when I reach judgment day. ;)

x_ina said...

this goes with last post.

Obviously i suck at deciphering enigmatic clues... what the hell is you knew blog?
i think i would have to devise some torture to get you to tell me :P

As for where you be past the next decade... with me of course silly, we have a plan, remember?

love you tons, and think you are quite marvellous :*